Parker

Parker

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Clean Muffins

 Usually for breakfast we have pancakes, waffles, eggs, toast, french toast, oatmeal, greek yogurt, smoothies and I was trying hard to find a decent recipe for a muffin.  I found these and Craig calls them gourmet...haha.  They are super yummy and a healthy version to a muffin.  
I do modify it a bit: I use 1% milk although I do LOVE coconut milk and bet that would taste yummy too; no flaxseed; the whole egg; no oil-I substitute additional applesauce; instead of cranberries (i can't find any without sugar) I use raisins, a few TJ choc chips and do put the raisins in-oh and a sprinkle of chopped nuts-usually walnuts  Yummers!!!! Also you could add a mashed banana for more fruity flavor.


1 cup dry old fashioned oatmeal flakes
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup skim milk, soy milk, almond milk or rice (your choice)
2 egg whites, beaten
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
2 Tbsp + 1 tsp of canola oil
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup raisins


1. Preheat oven to 350* F. Prepare muffin tin by lining with paper or silicone liners or cooking spray.
2. Combine Oatmeal, applesauce, milk, eggs, flax and and oil in medium bowl. In another medium bowl, combine dry ingredients, including dried fruit. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into it. Stir until all ingredients are just combined.
3. Using a small ladle, fill cup 2/3 full. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Serve and enjoy.

TIP - try unsweetened applesauce on top instead of butter to add sweet moistness to it.

Makes 12 muffins




4 comments:

  1. Hey will you have Ruth Coles send me an invite to her blog? And the muffins look so yummy. We will have to try them.

    Jmescott24@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how to do that? I have her on my blog but from my other blog site.

      Delete
  2. i'm totally going to have to try this recipe. I think its so cool that you would be so open on your blog. Congrats on losing so much already! We have also tried to incorporate healthier eating. Are you just not eating anything with sugar? How have you done it inexpensively? We should share tips!

    Also. Thanks for the offer to stay at your house. Where exactly are you up there? We are thinking of doing a trip to San Juan Islands. Have you heard anything about them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a pretty open person I guess haha. We do eat sugar as far as fruit, honey & molasses but no refined sugar. Also there are things that have cane sugar that yes, technically it is sugar but we at least it's more natural and we don't eat lots of it. I find it does cost a little bit more, but not too bad. I find it's worth it to be healthy & to teach my kids.

      We live in Battle Ground just outside of Vancouver, WA. So Portland is a quick 25 minutes and Seattle is about 3 hours-also depending on traffic. I bet San Juan islands are beautiful!

      Delete